Today President Obama won the Nobel Peace prize for worldwide efforts to communicate peace rather than launch wars against people who differ or disagree. When conflict strikes war and peace vie for solutions. Politicians rarely tame their amygdalas and so it’s no surprise that they frequently choose war to resolve differences. It takes brain powered tools to disagree without violence. Which do you choose when crossed – war or peace?
For the past two days in Radio City Hall, I questioned leadership greed and aggression with amazing writers and thinkers, about our hopes for global peace and prosperity, Unequaled by most leaders in this generation, he offers another shot at wonder for the US, and the world. With excitement building in people across this fine nation, and armed with a few brain facts to boot, I’m ready for change. Are you?
10 brain based leadership qualities in Barack Obama’s leadership could launch lasting change through peaceful means:
1. Values differences in ways that bring people together for mutual benefit. Obama emphasizes people’s multiple intelligences as leadership tools to solve problems, rather than get hung up on skin color or gender uniqueness.
2. Tempers tone so that people speak and feel heard in his presence. While many leaders bolt from conflict, Obama facilitates disagreements in mind-bending ways that open doors to life-changing insights forward.
3. Cares for people more than cold programs or rigid policies, so that he creates projects that empower humans. Obama used mental skills to let attacks go, so that he freed his working memory to consider alternative solutions.
4. Takes risks to stand for truth and boldly challenges ruts that bloat our broken traditions. The greed that sank Wall Street and tainted world markets will be replaced with wisdom from a leader who has wired his own brain to take risks and build more caring communities.
5. Emulates teachability in ways that allow for experts’ ideas, rather than dictates one narrow agenda. Brain based leaders learn skills to tame the amygdala, in ways we saw it happen to many people through Obama’s leadership.
6. Reflects on opposites in that he engages others’ views and works across differences for solutions. He showed courage to engage progressive thinkers and to inspire people to think in opposite directions in order to discover a finer way together.
7. Celebrates humility in ways that fuel his leadership positively with serotonin, How so? Barak Obama rejuvenates his own brain, in ways that add life-changing brainpower to improve his own and others’ situation.
8. Solves problems with the brain in mind. Obama appears to tailor his leadership on the science that sheds light on people’s improved mental approaches. As he organizes people to participate in better solutions he also challenges and inspires excellence.
9. Inspires creativity in that he unites people across many backgrounds to both help shape and to chase after lofty visions. Cynical mindsets fueled by cortisol chemicals, literally block creativity, impact talent, and stomp out innovation. Can you see why we can expect to compete with better results on a world stage?
10. Speaks hope rather than vent on its opposites, or accuse others who lead from past models. This optimism comes from a person who creates a climate for high impact minds and sustains curiosity as Einstein taught and Barak Obama models at the peaks.
These 10 brain facts weave through Barack Obama’s leadership approach like golden threads intertwine to create fine tapestries. Some pieces still must come together for this nation, as in any on-going growth. Few will deny that times are tough. Yet with progress in the air, and people as Obama’s core currency, no wonder excellence and expectation for a finer future has suddenly sprung alive.
How do you lead peace with the brain in mind?
YOUR TURN! Join our Brain Based Circles! Would love to meet you at any of the following!
Created by Ellen Weber, Brain Based Tasks for Growth Mindset