It’s no secret that secondary schools stunt teens’ talent, yet where is the stir for strategies to boost brainpower they bring to class daily? Sit through a university lecture, and you’ll agree that brainpower remains untapped, even for faculty. Learners hold amazing segues into mental reserves, yet educational organizations look the other way, dump good money after bad, and protect turf for tenured teaching from another era. Have you seen it happen?
In much the same way, organizations face financial failure with bored workers subjected to rigid routines while brainpower dies daily. It doesn’t have to be that way.
According to Robert Lee Holtz, Wall Street Journal Science Columnist, Researchers found that sudden insights or Eureka moments show unique neural activity in EEG sensors. Interesting, ahha moments of sudden insights are the culmination of an intense and complex series of brain states that require more neural resources that methodological reasoning. It seems the brain is most actively engaged when our mind is wandering and we’ve actually lost track of our thoughts.
Brainpower impacts moods, motivation and achievement, and should be top priority for reconfigured learning:
1. Avoid talent shrinkage by generating one different approach to improve your day. Overcome a problem you face, with brainpower you possess, and you’ll reconfigure your brain for further solutions. If your problem is lack of funding – then propose a program that draws more on brainpower and less on an already tightening public purse, and expect a new world of possibilities to open.
2. Run from lectures that hold you captive, and draw on multiple intelligences while you listen. While people speak, you’re better off to sketch one thing spoken, then apply it later to improve your week. Or craft a letter to the editor based on solving one problem the lecture identified. Why let lectures leak out brainpower when you could add creative edges with winning results? Research shows you retain less than 5% of what you hear in lectures, yet retain 90% of what you teach others while you learn yourself.
3. Turn boredom into choices that ratchet up brainpower instead. Luckily, just as boredom’s a choice, brain research shows that interest can be cultivated for even a boring task. Motivation’s shaped by choices you make and approaches you create to complete what you do. As Helen Keller said, Life must become a daring adventure or it is nothing at all.
4. Learning should not be isolated from learner experiences, facts left idle to gather dust in obscure essays, or details dumped into heads like water into buckets. Draw vital brain based insights from neuro-discoveries, in language people understand, for solutions they use to improve real life situations. Have you seen brain based learning approaches, where facts fuel wisdom into well being and perpetuate progress?
5. Only recently has awareness grown about harmful learning practices that work against human brains. Daily, though, teens find themselves subjected to these toxic teaching tactics. We’ve also learned recently that chemicals such as serotonin open minds to learning, while cortisol, which is associated with anger, fear, stress, boredom, or frustration – tends to shut down learning. Which chemicals come with learning circles in your area?
During a lifetime teaching teens, young adults, university faculty and business leaders, I’ve yet to see people come to tables without capabilities brimming over! So if the problem is not with learners, and if we know far more about human brains, how then can we create new climates for high impact minds? What do you think?
YOUR TURN! Join our Brain Based Circles! Would love to meet you at any of the following!
Created by Ellen Weber, Brain Based Tasks for Growth Mindset
Smart skill 31 = Move Tone Tools to Open Opportunities
Smart skill 32 = Move Past Regret by Doing its Opposite
Smart skill 33 = Move Beliefs into Action to Win
Smart skill 34 = Move Beyond Technology that Fails
Smart skill 35 = Move People Back to Center
Smart skill 36 = Move Beyond Myths of Safety
Smart skill 37 = Move Brainpower into Reconfigured Learning
Smart skill 38 = Move to Replace Broken Systems
Smart skill 39 = Move Innovation into Invention
Smart skill 40 = Move Intelligences up a Notch Today